Forums » In the PIT » Hanging them up

Messages for Hanging them up

Comment Posted by Double D Sep 01, 2021 09:34 AM

As the season comes to a closed I will be hanging up my uniform. My last day will be September/14. I want to thank Jon for giving the opportunity to ref in an awesome league. Also I wanted to thank Brad, Darryl, Cliff. Lee,& Everett. This guys taught me everything about reffing. What I'm going to miss is all the friends I made through out my career. So take care & have fun playing football Good luck to all the team in the playoff.

Comment Posted by L Mitchnik Sep 01, 2021 10:44 AM

Donnie,

You will be missed. You've also had a big impact on us younger refs. Have fun with your future endeavors!

Comment Posted by cobras63 Sep 01, 2021 11:08 AM

Thanks for your work in the league(s) in this province, Donnie. It has been a pleasure of mine to not only be reffed by you, but to ref with you. You have made a difference in the landscape of football in Manitoba, and I hope you realise just how important you have been to so many.

Comment Posted by boozer16 Sep 01, 2021 05:05 PM

I am very sad to hear that you are hanging up your whistle,it just wont be the same without you.
I remember one of the first games you reffed my team you gave me 4 objectionable conducts in a row, 60 yards in penalties and a 5 minute time out ......ah the good old days.....lol. I am so glad I have had the opportunity to get to know you and what a kind and gentle person you are. I want to thank you for all the years of reffing and promoting the game of touch football in Manitoba. I wish you all the best in the future and especially wonderful times spoiling those grand kids.

Comment Posted by tccool Sep 01, 2021 05:45 PM

One of the best in the business! Always made me happy knowing you were reffing our games!

Comment Posted by gchan Sep 02, 2021 08:59 AM

Happy retirement Donnie! It was always a pleasure having you ref our games and I wish you nothing but the best moving forward. Thank you!

Comment Posted by Gwevis Sep 02, 2021 09:19 AM

Donnie!!!! NOOOOOOOO, always one of the best going back to the days in the other leagues in the city.

Wish you all the best, hopefully we have you reffing me one more time before you hang them up!!

Neil Gwizon

Comment Posted by Spider Sep 02, 2021 02:21 PM

Geez!

I never thought you would not be reffing. I enjoyed our many reffing games together. One of the things I enjoyed with the older guys was our receptiveness to another perspective. We would "huddle" wherever, discuss the situation, and come to a consensus ...sometimes in a bar, mostly on the field, or in a hotel room in wassagaming/Clear lake!!

No one except your teammates, Brad, and I remember the Clear Lake Beach tournament.

Yes boys we played on the main beach, downtown clear Lake, MB. We had to stop,a game one time because a wedding party wanted to take a group photo of everyone playing touch football on the beach. Was it you and your gang that got that photo? One of Histories greatest touch football photo in the world!

The second part of that awesome weekend memory was ending up at your hotel with Rick, Chris and some of the other guys and introducing me to Head-Bandz, a board game, with lots of crown and Coke!.... Bad B-52's, your team name.....messing with my mind!,I was so enamoured with the game, I used it in some lessons during my teaching career at DMCI..

In my eyes, Double D, an icon of MB touch FB.

You have a great family, your compassion, love and understanding for your wife is inspirational..
Going to miss you. Who will HR games in the North End?
Thanks! Enjoy your time off from reffin Games!

Comment Posted by CP2OCHO Sep 03, 2021 06:13 PM

Donnie! Say it ain't so! You're a legend! You will be missed buddy! Let me know if you'll be reffing at Nomads Field on the 9th and 10th. I'll see if I can bring you the food you're always asking for.

Comment Posted by damian81 Sep 04, 2021 11:30 PM

Going to miss you Donnie. One of my favorites. Always fair and made made me smile.
Thank you and all the best.
Damian McKenzie.
PS Drew still is not my brother.

Comment Posted by greg_enns Sep 07, 2021 09:25 AM

Thanks for many great years, Donnie! I have always appreciated your humour and personality in officiating a game... football is a lot more fun when played by and reffed by human beings who have a mutual understanding of why we're all out on the field.

Comment Posted by sgodard Sep 07, 2021 06:02 PM

Thanks for everything Donnie, you are a class act on and off the field. I am sure going to miss seeing you around the fields.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Sep 09, 2021 08:41 AM

Olé, Olé, Olé... Montreal Donnie, that was the highlight. Haven't seen you for awhile as I don't get out to as many fields as I used to. I will have to see if I can make it out on the 14th for a proper farewell. Thanks for all the years DD, fellow Official, Colleague and most important Friend.

Take care DD

Cliff

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com