Forums » In the PIT » The Passing of Brad Kelm

Messages for The Passing of Brad Kelm

Comment Posted by jon Mar 04, 2022 02:50 PM

It is with great sadness that the PIT must announce that Brad Kelm was found passed away in his condo in Mexico yesterday. Few details are currently known but foul play is not suspected. Brad did have some medical issues that he was dealing with. We hope that he went out doing the things he loved to do, and being in Mexico was one of those things!

Brad Kelm's accomplishments can't be quantified but here are just a few:

Manitoba Touch Football Hall of Famer
Head official in both the WTFL and PIT Football
All-time officials leader in games officiated in Manitoba (probably anywhere in the world to be honest)
Multi-time selection as head official at Touch Football Nationals
PIT Football's all-time leader in games officiated at 3631 games https://pit.redzoneleagues.com/menu/become-an-official
Multiple Division 1 champion as a player for the Assassins

Most importantly a good friend and beloved member of our football community.

Our condolences go out to Brad's family and friends. To be honest, I thought Brad was immortal. It is a huge loss to our touch football community.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by future Mar 04, 2022 03:08 PM

What an incredible loss. It's one thing to be a legend for your accomplishments, it's a whole other thing to be universally loved for being an incredible person. Brad was all of that and so much more, he will be greatly missed. Condolences to all of Brad's family and friends. Nobody will ever rock the toque over the hat combo like that man.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Mar 04, 2022 03:58 PM

Bit of a shock, spent many a day over the years with Brad; reffing, nationals, football boards…etc. I could go on. I am sure we will be talking Brad stories for years to come. RIP friend. Condolences to the family

Cliff Kitchen
(known him since 1984)

Next drink I have will be in your honor buddy

Comment Posted by jon Mar 04, 2022 04:08 PM

We lost a legend. Everything I learned about ref’n was from Brad. I’m heartbroken. I have so many memories with him. Going to Vegas together was a trip I’ll always remember. I’ve ref’d at least 1000+ games with him. Nobody was better in the 3 min hustle than us back in the day. He also taught me so much about life . .. We were both big Bama & Steeler fans. Even when he was in Mexico we’d text each other after a Alabama win. He taught me so much. This one will be hard to get over. I’m gonna miss you tremendously my friend

Forever your friend Brent

Comment Posted by cobras63 Mar 05, 2022 12:45 PM

Loss of an absolute legend. Taught me how to ref and I always looked forward to being reffed by him. Fair and honest, Brad earned the reputation of being the best in the country. Football in Manitoba is diminished by his passing, and I know that veterans will be sad that future players won't get the privilege of playing with Brad.

Chris

Comment Posted by boozer16 Mar 05, 2022 12:46 PM

We lost a legend in touch football this week. I don't have to list all of his contributions and accomplishments over the years but needless to say touch football will not be the same with out him. Rest in peace my friend.

Respect

Jerome

Comment Posted by silverfox Mar 05, 2022 07:20 PM

I would like to pass on my sympathies to all those close to Brad.
Like many of you I have many fond memories dating back to the rivalry between the Eagles and his team, the
Assassins. Brad was a fierce competitor and in playing against him, I know he gave 100% every play.

And as a referee there was none better in my mind. He was always in control and very fair. He would give you some room to vent your
frustrations but then enough was enough.

As said in previous posts, he will be greatly missed. I will miss my chats with him as he stood behind me in the backfield wearing the black and white stripes.

On behalf of the Eagles and Knights, Brad thank you for the precious memories.
You will be missed by all of us. May you Rest In Peace my friend.

Let’s keep playing in his honor.

Comment Posted by L Mitchnik Mar 07, 2022 09:47 AM

Wow, condolences to his family and close friends. I reffed many a game with Brad and he reffed many of my games as well. Learned a lot just watching him. He was a legend and will be greatly missed.

Leslie Mitchnik

Comment Posted by Spider Mar 07, 2022 11:22 AM

Nice comments from the football community. That's very respectful.
I had met Brad in 1980, and have known him in many environments. One thing he really loved were his experiences with everyone involved, in the touch community. I had many comical experiences with Brad, that still bring a smile to my face when re-calling them. Also playing hi-lights, ref clinics, and player development clinics, and just times at the bar.

I could not believe the news in the email that he had passed away!

Of anyone I can think of he is a real Touch football legend!

RIP Beeks

Comment Posted by willll11Hill Mar 11, 2022 01:37 AM

That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that

Comment Posted by Grizzled Old Vet Mar 11, 2022 10:23 AM

In the fall of 1987 I played my first organized touch football game in the old WCTFL. Brad and Darrell were reffing. There was a contentious play and I made a snide remark about a non call to Brad who was head reffing. As he's picking up the bags and without looking at me, he says: if it was a penalty, i woulda called it. Play better. After the game as we're shaking hands all around, Brad comes up to me, sticks out his hand and says: don't worry, the refs got it covered. Your job is to focus on your game. You keep yapping and you're gonna hurt your team.

The following year I volunteered to be one of our team's volunteer refs during the season. My first game in stripes, Brad and Darrell were reffing. I was doing sidelines and Brad was head reffing. He explained my responsibilities to me pre game and we got going. First play of the game the QB tossed a bomb. I watched the play right from the snap to the completion. Brad comes jogging up to me (with those short steps of his)and says: I watch the QB. When you do my job, you're not doing yours, you miss stuff and it's not good for the game. After the game, we cracked a beer (Darrell always had beer) and Brad patiently explained exactly what each ref position is responsible for.

In 2015 I reffed my last game, with Brad and Darrell (thanks for that schedule request John). It went smoothly, everyone did their job and when the game was over, we cracked a beer (remember what I said about Darrell and beer...). We reminisced about the last almost 30 years. I asked Brad when he was gonna hang em up. Fuck that he said. What's better than this?

Nothing BK, nothing is better than this. For love of the game. RIP.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com