Forums » In the PIT » Divisional Alignment

Messages for Divisional Alignment

Comment Posted by Scott Jul 29, 2013 09:54 PM

As the playoffs draw near, the PIT crew would like to take this time to clarify the divisional breakdowns for the two combined divisions for the 2013 season.

The Flag teams will be competing for two titles: Division 1 will comprise the teams that qualify in the top 7 placings after all the tiebreakers are taken into consideration, while the remaining teams will compete for the Flag Division 2 title.

The touch Division 2,and 3 will be split down the middle with all teams which place in the top 7 competing for the Division 2 title, while the remaining 7 teams compete for the Division 3 title. All crossover players are free to compete with all teams they play on for the duration of the playoffs assuming they have met the eligibility requirements for games played.

Here is a direct link to the Divisional standings: http://www.pitfootball.com/standings

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by Monkey Jul 30, 2013 12:06 PM

Is there any thoughts about how Div 2/3 will work for the first round? Will 1st place in each division get a bye or will there be a play in between the 6th and 7th placed teams? Or have decisions even made it that far yet?

Comment Posted by jon Jul 30, 2013 06:44 PM

First place has a bye. If we had a play in game the divisions would still have six teams which would cause 1st and 2nd place to get another bye. With seven teams playoffs would work as such:

1st round:
First place bye
2nd vs 7th
3rd vs 6th
4th vs 5th

2nd round:
1st place vs 4th seed
2nd seed vs 3rd seed

3rd round:
Championship glory

Nearly 7pm, off to drink.

Comment Posted by rstatman Aug 06, 2013 01:04 PM

The division 2/3 split for the playoffs might be something to apply to all divisions in future seasons as every division has teams at the bottom of the standings with 1-3 wins. I know one argument against it might be that teams might "throw" games to enter playoffs in a lower division but the league could split divisions as they see fit and not evenly to address this issue. Just a thought on my first day of vacation and I know I should be doing other stuff but what can I say. I will start that now, lol.

Comment Posted by jon Aug 06, 2013 01:25 PM

Not a bad idea but we would have to reconcile having 22 divisions instead of 11. It would mean a considerable cost increase at the end of the year (trophies, shirts, rental of artificial turf fields for championship games, extra refs at those games, etc). Always looking to make the game day experience better for our players so it is something that we would consider if we could manage the costs involved. I like the idea of deciding divisional splits after seeing the final records, however, if we didn't do an even split of divisions teams at the cutoff points decided end of season would always be angry about the decision making process!

This year was also a tough one to gauge teams since we had a considerable number of teams from other leagues join. Next year after seeing the caliber of all the teams we should be able to make divisions with some great parity as we often see in indoor, ideally we would like to have all 105 teams go 9-9 during the season!

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by val Aug 15, 2013 01:51 AM

I know its a bit late for a comment but I don't like the idea of the split honestly. It may work at higher divisions as they tend to be larger (more teams) but I think a split is unnecessary. The usual system of 7 v 10 and 8 v 9, then regular playoffs from there worked well when it was used. It seems unfair to me that these teams that crapped out through the season (for whatever reason) get a shot at a trophy against easier opponents. In this way teams still have to fight for position, because if a team knows that a split is coming, as mentioned above they may be inclined to throw games for an easier shot at a trophy, and since the trophy says 'div #' and not 'consolation prize' it still looks good right? If you suck during the season why should you get a easier shot at a trophy? What is this, a 'no fail' elementary school? If you're at the bottom of the standings you deserve to be there, and shouldn't have an easier road to a trophy.

And before people jump on me for ragging on teams in the bottom of their div, I'm on one, and it just seems silly, the split idea, at least for 10 team divs.

Comment Posted by Alzies Aug 15, 2013 01:54 PM

my concern with the split is that the league needs to address the issue of players playing on more than one team and how they are going to handle that once playoffs start.... for instance No D and Polk High could both be in div 2, is Neil going to be forced to declare his team before playoffs start? And if that team gets bounced out of playoffs is he going to be allowed to play for the other team?

These issues should be ironed out before playoffs start so people know where they stand and avoid confusion.

Comment Posted by jon Aug 15, 2013 03:43 PM

Hey Al, I believe Scott clarified that point in the first post of this thread.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by Alzies Aug 16, 2013 01:27 AM

Haha I had my comment deleted... Too damn funny

Comment Posted by Jackson2283 Aug 16, 2013 01:32 AM

Yea was wondering where it went.

Comment Posted by Scott Aug 16, 2013 02:38 PM

Things that have no value should be removed. Clearly you just wanted to bitch about a division you don't even play in... If you didn't even read the first post of the thread, how can anyone take your comments too serious? Many team captains voiced concern that they may lose a player if the multi team players were forced to choose, so that is why the PIT took the direction it did. In our view, this was the best possible solution for the touch football experience our Division 2, and 3 players are paying for.

Scott

Comment Posted by Travers Aug 16, 2013 05:01 PM

Oh boy, thank god for playing in div 11. No problems to worry about down here :)

Comment Posted by Scott Aug 16, 2013 06:22 PM

Next up, Division 11 debacle, debauchery...

Comment Posted by jon Aug 16, 2013 10:37 PM

As long as we find some ladies count me in! http://www.thefreedictionary.com/debauchery

Perhaps you meant the breaking up of ice in a river: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/debacle

Either way lets do it.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by Scott Aug 16, 2013 11:55 PM

Where Travers is concerned, this may be more applicable... A sudden, disastrous collapse, downfall, or defeat; a rout (If F ing with the PIT Crew). You may apply this to any Bomber game in the 2013 as well. Although, Travers, or Dave Robson may be the new Bomber QB by weeks end!

Comment Posted by Scott Aug 16, 2013 11:58 PM

The Bombers just took three hours of my life I can never take back, Jim Bell must pay for this...

Comment Posted by Scott Aug 16, 2013 11:59 PM

Comment Posted by Travers Aug 17, 2013 09:57 AM

I agree with Jon, div 11 should be renamed the "debauchery" div..of course ladies involved is a must. I had no idea that's what the meaning of the word was!

Comment Posted by Monkey Aug 17, 2013 06:40 PM

Bombers couldn't pay me enough! I'm working on league sponsorships here people. Who wants to have a social to support my cause? (Basically it's just to give me money that I don't have to work for)

Comment Posted by Travers Aug 18, 2013 09:36 PM

I appreciate the official name change of div 11. I also take 99% credit for it, and 1% going to Scott.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com