Forums » In the PIT » The Passing of Hall of Famer Kanwal Saran

Messages for The Passing of Hall of Famer Kanwal Saran

Comment Posted by jon Oct 17, 2023 06:29 PM

The PIT Football league lost a Hall of Famer, a founding member, a teammate, and most importantly, a best friend yesterday. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Kanwal Saran.

Kanwal waged a long battle against ALS. Kanwal fought his illness like he battled on the field. He is the toughest person I have ever met, and he will be truly missed.

Kanwal played a pivotal role in the start of the PIT Football league. As one of the top defensive players to ever suit up, Kanwal played on Manitoba's first flag football national championship team in 2002🏆, and Manitoba's first (and only) touch football national championship team in 2011🏆. Kanwal was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2019.

Kanwal changed the way the game is played, just like he changed so many lives as a doctor, a family member, and a friend. Here's to Kanwal, who I hope is enjoying a crown royal and locking down receivers in the great beyond. 🥃

LANES GENTLEMEN!!!! 🏈

Comment Posted by damian81 Oct 17, 2023 08:22 PM

Kanwal was one of the best human beings I have ever known.

Miss you my friend.

Comment Posted by Grizzled Old Vet Oct 18, 2023 08:07 AM

Such sad news. Kanwal was one of the first docs I saw when my knees started to go. He spent a lot of time during the initial examination explaining what was inevitably going to happen (it played out just like he said) and looking me in the eye to tell me that it's gonna hurt but you can still ref for a while before you can't anymore if you want to. He also told me to stay away from the pain pills, but an occasional crown never hurt anyone...

I was reffing the sides in Regina one year and the QB threw an out to my side. As I pivoted to watch the catch and the line a blur flew by me in the air. It was Kanwal, knees tucked, arm reaching for the ball. He knocked the ball away from the receiver then smoked the guy. I threw the flag and he calmly asked me why I threw it since he played the ball (typical DB argument for a flag). I said great knock down on the ball but smoking the receiver is a personal foul. He smiled and said if it's not PI I'm ok with it...

Back in the day we used to say he's good people as a sign of respect about someone. Kanwal truly was good people. RIP.

Comment Posted by silverfox Oct 18, 2023 09:23 AM

On behalf of the Knights, I extend my deepest sympathies to Kanwal's family and friends, and I know he had a lot of friends in the touch football community!

I can remember competing against Kanwal years ago and I have to say what many of you already know about this man. He played hard every play and respected his opponent and the game.
As a QB, he was one of the those guys that you had to account for and know where he was on field, such an intelligent defender. He was a pleasure to play against and it was always good to shake his hand when the game was over. Although I never had the privilege to play on the same team with Kanwal, I am sure I am right when I say he was a tremendous and highly respected teammate.

Once again, our deepest sympathies.

Jim Bell

Comment Posted by L Mitchnik Oct 18, 2023 10:29 AM

My condolences to Kanwal and his family. I always remember him as a gracious competitor whenever I reffed a game he was playing.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Oct 21, 2023 10:20 AM

Sad to hear about Kanny. Played against him, played with him, reffed him many times and also saw him in the Dr's office. Always smiling and happy to see you, the ultimate gentleman. He was the epitome of the HOF. You are missed Kanny, condolences to all his loved ones. RIP

Cliff Kitchen

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com