Forums » In the PIT » Touchdown after an inadvertant whisle

Messages for Touchdown after an inadvertant whisle

Comment Posted by Sean Jun 20, 2013 10:59 AM

At the risk of poking a bear....

The other day we had an inadvertent whistle when one of our defenders missed a tag and the play was whistled dead. Obviously the other team was upset (rightfully so) but these things happen. After the reffing crew had a conversation, they decided to award a touchdown to the offense because in their opinion, the runner would have gotten to the end zone after the missed tag. The runner was about 30 yards from the end zone and EVERYONE stopped when the whistle was blown. When pressed for a justification for this call the head ref referenced a conversation with the owner of the league that this was an acceptable outcome.

Quick calculation.... I've played in over 700 touch football games at every level and I've never seen a touchdown awarded after an inadvertent whistle and without the offense getting into the end zone. Someone needs to point me to the location in the rule book where this is outlined. The refs should be using the rule book and ONLY the rule book to call the game.

Similar call happened earlier this year and the options presented were to take the gain where the ball carrier was at the time of the whistle or replay the down (makes sense).

Personal apology to the other team (Polk High) for walking off the field after another blown call /decision later in the game. It showed lack of sportsmanship on our part and has no place in touch football.

To avoid this frustration in the future, please clarify what the proper call is and apply it consistently in every situation. The ref lost control of the game because of inconsistent, unjustified and flip/flop calls.... this needs to be corrected to preserve the integrity of the game.

Sean.

Comment Posted by Sean Jun 20, 2013 11:09 AM

after some digging;

9.8 If there is an inadvertent whistle by the officials on a play, the play will stand if the whistle did not affect the outcome of the play. If the outcome was affected by the whistle, the team that was affected can let the play stand as of the whistle or repeat the play from the point of last scrimmage. If it is not possible to determine who was adversely affected, the play will be repeated.

Seeing as the outcome of the play was 14 guys complaining to the ref, I'm suggesting that the whistle affected the outcome of the play... the runner didn't come within 25 yards of the end zone.

I'm done.

Sean.

Comment Posted by jon Jun 20, 2013 01:13 PM

I was training in a flag game a few weeks ago and a similar play happened where an inadvertent whistle was blown and a touchdown was awarded. It was the right call as there wasn't a possibility of the player being caught from behind. As the rule states the team affected can let the play stand. If the referees were to determine that no one could have made a play it is the correct call to award a touchdown, if there was a possibility of the player being caught you can take the ball at the spot of the whistle or replay the down.

Tough call to make but that is why our refs are the most highly trained in touch football today (more on that when I have some time to put some info on the website). I was at a tournament in Toronto a few weeks ago, PIT reffing is far and away better than on the Trillium tour out East... I had the head official apologize personally to me for a blown call that could have lost us a semi-final game when they were bullied by the opposing team to change their mind on a call even though their call was correct...and don't even get me started on Regina refs!

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by Monkey Jun 21, 2013 09:39 AM

In this situation though there should be yardage awarded to the offensive team based upon their position on the field at the time of the inadvertent whistle but no points should be awarded since at no point did the runner ever cross the goal line if I am understanding the situation correctly.

Comment Posted by gwizicane72 Jun 21, 2013 12:50 PM

i can speak to the poorness or reffing elsewhere as well. It is quite laughable actually. Based on my experiences at nationals and Regina, i would hate to be playing in another city or league in a permanent situation. All I would say is our refs shouldn't feel bad about tossing their flags at people sooner in games here, because we still do tend to abuse our refs more than anywhere else in the country, while they get paid, it isn't like they are making big time money!! reffing us. I feel like our refs are constantly being tested by players.....we test them to see how much we can get away with, because for some reason we think yelling at them will mean they owe us a call....... easy way to stop it...... throw flags :) players will then shut up!! (this is not in reference to this situation at all, just a general observation.... i was not present to witness this particular event)

I don't really need to comment on the main topic of this thread, as i was not there and my opinion therefore is irrelevant....but :):):)I will say that if the argument, and only disputed fact was whether the player physically crossed the goaline, then the refs probably got this one right. It really doesn't matter if he crossed the goaline, because the whistle would have stopped him too. Therefore if the whistle prevented him from a certain score, then it was the correct It is a tough judgment call, and one you rarely see, and all you can hope is the refs get it as correct as humanly possible!! If the argument is that is wasn't a guaranteed td, then that is another story is suppose as it is completely a judgment call by the refs

Comment Posted by Neil McK Jun 22, 2013 10:26 AM

Besides Neil, where else would you get a referee telling you you didn't catch the ball because "PHYSICS" wouldn't allow it!! What's your opinion Earnshaw!! lol

Comment Posted by Scott Jun 22, 2013 07:39 PM

Vegas rules here, we have the best refs in the country. I think they got it correct, and since I don't even play anymore, can we say I'm not biased??? 50 percent yes, 50 percent no. In the end all is good and finish the game despite the protest.... Yeah a lot of things to process in that one.

Wouldn't you want the refs to contact leage exec if they are unsure? I would consider that going the extra mile, but I guess we have created a monster with the PIT league.

Comment Posted by gwizicane72 Jun 24, 2013 10:47 AM

I would also like to hear Earnshaw's opinion.... :)

All i know is that i apparently defy physics....that must make me an exceptional player :P

Comment Posted by badmonkey Jun 25, 2013 04:03 PM

I can honestly say there's only one ref I shake my head at. I feel the game is to fast paced for him. As for the other refs, they do a amazing job. Unfortunately I've witnessed some abuse, but there's jerks everywhere and I'm game fully employed because of them.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com