Forums » In the PIT » Huddling

Messages for Huddling

Comment Posted by cray Jun 20, 2013 10:02 AM

Our team runs a no huddle a lot of the time. In a game yesterday, the other team informed the ref that they thought it was mandatory that we huddle on EVERY first down (not just the first down of a series after change of possession). I'd never heard this before and we've been running a no huddle for many years. The ref wasn't sure that this was the case and to his credit, he let us continue to play without huddling on every first down. In speaking with the ref at half-time, he did wonder if they were right, as he thought that adoption of a new rule book in recent years may have introduced this rule.

I checked the rule book link on this website and found the following:

2.1 A huddle is not compulsory except in the following circumstances: after any
time out; after a change in possession; after change of ends at the end of a period. The
offensive team has 20 seconds to snap the ball after the referee has blown the play in.
Failure to do so will result in a five yard time count penalty.

I don't see anything there about huddling on every first down. Could someone confirm that first down huddles are not mandatory? (Would make it pretty difficult to run a two minute drill.)

Curtis

Comment Posted by sanders21 Jun 20, 2013 10:05 AM

Yes you only need to huddle as stated above in your rule. Other then those times no huddle is required.

Comment Posted by outofthe60s Jun 20, 2013 02:33 PM

Hey Curtis,
I was on the field yesterday and heard the ref say that to you guys.
Wasn't sure who or why he did, but I never heard someone from our team ask him.
Maybe because we were playing iron man and he wanted to catch his breath.
Like you said, only on change of possession and so on.

Good game and Good luck the rest of the season.

Comment Posted by Travers Jun 20, 2013 06:27 PM

Wait wait wait....you have to huddle after ever change of possession?? Who knew...lol

Comment Posted by Nolby Jun 20, 2013 11:57 PM

Our team would get the death penalty then if this huddle rule actually existed.

Comment Posted by cobras63 Jun 21, 2013 10:25 AM

Hah! Travers, you learned after my 4th comment. My favourite part was when the rest of your team started calling you out on it, and wanting me to flag you...

Comment Posted by cray Jun 21, 2013 11:05 AM

Hey outofthe60s -- I think by your handle, I can guess which guy you were. ;)

Sounds like it was just a joke or a misunderstood comment then. No harm done. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a rule change that we weren't aware of, being the honest good sports that we are.

The young among us want me to huddle more anyway. The old are too lazy to come back to a huddle on every play.

Good luck the rest of the way to you guys too...
Curtis

Comment Posted by bigern Jul 12, 2013 10:57 AM

One thing. There is such a thing as a sleeper play/no huddle penalty. According to the rule book (Page 19, number 11) "A “sleeper” play (illegal substitution penalty) is only illegal if it is a deliberate attempt to deceive the defense".

and an example on Page 20 number 13... "13. After a scrimmage play, there is a partial huddle. One of the offensive players lines up on their bench side, next to the sideline without returning to the huddle.
Interpretation: This is a deliberate deception play and the offense should be called for illegal procedure"

So, as I see it, that means there is some discretion on the part of the referree and a penalty can be called when there is no huddle.

http://www.ontfl.com/2007website/TFO_Touch_Football_Rule_Case_Book_English_Version-April-2011.pdf

Chris
Dead Zone

Comment Posted by cobras63 Jul 12, 2013 12:10 PM

You're right about this, yes. It's up to the ref to decide whether the WR is too far to the sidelines. But, all players must come to the huddle on the first play after a change of possession.

What I've done in the past is warned the WR who's lined up too close to the sidelines that it could be a penalty if he's within, say, 3 yards of the line. Then he can at least move around a little so he's not getting penalised. I've thrown this flag in the past.

Key, though, is which sideline is chosen - note there's no restriction about the sleeper play happening on the side opposite the benches.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com