Forums » In the PIT » New Rules for the 2013 Outdoor Season

Messages for New Rules for the 2013 Outdoor Season

Comment Posted by jon Apr 29, 2013 09:43 AM

Results from the PIT Survey conducted during the Winter season were released earlier and can be found here: http://www.pitfootball.com/forums/messages/20850-pit-survey-results Based on the surveys we have also implemented some new suggestions that members asked for.

Higher Division Players Playing In Lower Divisions: Many people were displeased with the fact that some teams appeared to pick up ringers for playoffs and as a result there has been a change to the multi-team rule for 2013.

1. Roster deadlines will now be set the day of registration in order for us to better place teams into competitive divisions. All players who are not on the rosters by the deadline will have to be passed through the league executive to obtain permission. As of registration (this Thursday!) rosters will be locked on the website and teams will not be able to add players themselves. The only people that will be able to add players to teams will be the league administration.
2. Players from upper divisions will be much more closely scrutinized if they are requested to be added after the roster deadline. Captains should have such players on the roster by the deadline there will be very little chance of adding higher division players after the roster deadline is set. As discussed in point 1 the caliber of players will decide on divisional placement.
3. Players from Elite through division 3 will now have to play a minimum of 9 games (half the season) to be eligible for playoffs in any divisions lower than the highest division they play in (such players still only have to make 6 games on their highest division team to be eligible for playoffs). Thus a player who plays in Division 1, if they are also on a division four roster, they must must make 9 games for the division 4 team to be eligible for playoffs. This will prevent teams from adding players late in the season in an attempt to make them eligible for the post-season. A division 4 player however will not have to make 9 games for a division 6 team. That player may still be eligible for playoffs by attending six games for each team (again the rule only applies for players in Divisions Elite through 3).
4. Substitute players (if teams are short guys) are still allowed however the player that substitutes cannot be of higher caliber than the player that is missing for the game. If a player from a lower division substitutes for a team in Div 3 or higher will not have to worry about making a minimum of 9 games for their lower division team unless they are make enough games in the higher divisions to be eligible for playoffs (6).
The intent of the rule change is to force teams to declare higher division players at the start of the season to ensure divisional parity, to ensure the players are not added after the roster deadline, and to make sure that the upper division players are actually part of the team and not ringers.

Field site names:
There was some discussion of some of the names for the fields being confusing (e.g., Paddington Park). We used the actual park names whereas some indicated that putting the school (George McDowell) would be easier to find. Over the next few weeks we will be changing some of the field names to make mapping out locations easier.

Defaults:
Teams will now be required to provide as much advance notice as possible for a default. While there are times when teams simply do not know that players are missing and defaults will occur at the field, in those cases that no one from a team shows up to a scheduled game the default fee will be doubled. In cases where an entire team no shows a game that team clearly knows they are defaulting. Common courtesy would dictate they should inform the other team to prevent a drive across the city only to find out at the field that they don’t have a game. Thus teams who know they are defaulting will be required to phone Scott and Jon (leave messages if we don’t answer, but if you must call both if the first person you call doesn’t pick up) a minimum of 1.5 hours prior to game time. If this does not occur then default fines will double (e.g., the first $75 fine will double to $150). The doubling of the default fee will only occur when an entire team no shows their game without contacting the league administration.

Miscellaneous:
The vast majority of players enjoyed the fields with many commenting on how we offer the best playing surfaces in recreational sports. A couple of people did comment that we should water the fields. While a good suggestion it is not feasible to do so. So if it is the middle of August and it hasn’t rained in 45 days we cannot do anything to facilitate “softer fields”.

Other comments: cheerleaders, bikini-clad cheerleaders, bikini-clad female referees, free beer, bikini-clad cheerleaders handing out free beer, were all great suggestions. Just not sure about the feasibility ... we are going to convene a task force to study this suggestion in more detail.

All rules will be instituted effective immediately.

Thanks to everyone who filled out the surveys. You have helped us make the PIT even better.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by gwizicane72 Apr 29, 2013 02:30 PM

Definitely don't mind the 9 game rule, but quick question........is there any flexibility for an injured player?? Only reason i ask, is because if someone is on your opening day Roster and they say break something or even have a bad high ankle sprain and miss a number of games, and say they only get in 6, 7, 8 games......would there be any flexibility if it was proven that they missed this period of time due to an injury?

Another reason i ask, is i am overdue to get knocked unconscious in a game this year...... Pretty sure i have made it through a season without getting hit in the head now....... who knows how long that will keep me out when it does happen? :)

Not trying to be difficult, just curious, because it kind of sucks for people who do get hurt, and who have paid full fees to not be eligable when they otherwise may have been. Obviously you don't want people abusing this, either, but say someone was able to provide some documentation of sorts proving the injury, would this be taken into consideration?

Comment Posted by rbuchanan Apr 29, 2013 03:40 PM

One question I have is regarding defaulted games. I am wondering whether the money from a defaulted game goes to the league or whether it goes towards the team who missed out on a game because another team didn't show. To me, it makes the most sense for the money from a defaulted game to go towards the opponents. In the end, the league is still making money on that game through the teams registration fees whereas the players are paying for a game which they don't get to play. I understand the refs still need to be payed and the fields payed for but it's not like the league is losing money because a team didn't show. They still get the money from registration which would cover the refs wages and the field rental costs. The players are losing money however as they payed to play the game and don't get to play it.

In a perfect world, this wouldn't be an issue as teams wouldn't default games. However, teams do default and there's nothing worse than showing up at 1:15am or driving halfway across the city to a game which you payed for but can't play because another team didn't show up.

Comment Posted by jon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 PM

Neil: Players don't have to actually play in a game to get a game credited although they would have to show up on the sidelines and tell the refs they are present. Unfortunately if we didn't ensure the players were present to get a game played everyone would say their were sick or injured to become playoff eligible. So if you get hurt, grab a lawn chair and a beer and watch some ball and get credited for the game.

Reid: Default payments go to the teams who are affected. Teams will get $50 for the defaulted game. Ideally the new default rule is to dissuade teams from no showing games and will work to reduce the number of defaults or at the very least allow teams to know in advance that their game will not be played.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by eyamie Apr 30, 2013 09:07 AM

Great changes guys. Your ability to listen and adapt is what makes the PIT the best in Canada.

Comment Posted by eyamie Apr 30, 2013 09:08 AM

Great changes guys. Your ability to listen and adapt is what makes the PIT the best in Canada.

Comment Posted by gwizicane72 Apr 30, 2013 10:45 AM

Thanks for the clarification!!! I am good at drinking, so WILL DO!!! if the situation occurs, and i will inform my team as such.

Comment Posted by Travers Apr 30, 2013 12:18 PM

Jeff is so impressed he had to post his comment twice

Comment Posted by Alzies Apr 30, 2013 04:26 PM

So you are putting the fine to $150 and only giving the team $50 and pocketing the other 100, why is that?

Comment Posted by jon Apr 30, 2013 04:36 PM

Ideally we will never get the $150 as teams will be smart enough to phone in advance. Otherwise no refs windup for you.

Jon

Comment Posted by Scott Apr 30, 2013 06:50 PM

Allan we have lost a ton of money on the default system, we used to award the cash to the team that showed up regardless if we were able to collect the default fine from teams. Usually it takes place at the end of a season when a team is out of the playoffs or has disbanded. We have recently changed the system to only reward default fees once we collect monies from the defaulting team. I want to accentuate that these rules are not a slick measure to generate revenue! Badgering team captains for cash when teams flake out is one of my least favorite things to do...

Scott

Comment Posted by Alzies Apr 30, 2013 09:50 PM

Should make them pay default money before the next game or they cant play... either given to you guys or to the head ref at the next game then.

Comment Posted by Scott Apr 30, 2013 10:15 PM

Last game of the season...

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com