Forums » In the PIT » Labour day tournament 2012

Messages for Labour day tournament 2012

Comment Posted by corey Jul 24, 2012 02:33 PM

2012 Labour Day Classic in Regina
August 31
September 1 & 2

Registration is Limited
Due to a possibility of a couple fields being redone this year both men’s divisions could be smaller than 8 teams and the women’s could be smaller than 12 teams, so register early to ensure your team has a spot.
Women’s division teams will be placed in 2 different divisions depending on their record.
Entry will be awarded on a first come, first serve basis. Once the entry spots have been filled, all subsequent registrations will be added to a waiting list.
All teams (including those on the waiting list) must submit the entry fee by the deadline to preserve their right to an entry spot. Teams that do not submit the entry fee by the fee deadline will surrender their entry spot to a team on the waiting list.
All teams on the waiting list that do not receive an entry spot will have their registration fee returned to them.
All teams are guaranteed 3 games minimum.
Early Bird Entry Fee: $475 - Paid in full by August 17, 2012
Regular Entry Fee: $500 - Paid in full by August 27, 2012

I am in the process of updating the tournament site at rtfi but for the time being if you want to register you can email rtfilabourday@gmail.com with your team name, contact name and which division. Also if you have any questions.

Comment Posted by jon Jul 24, 2012 09:01 PM

Do it!

1002 posts bitch$s!

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by woodys1 Jul 25, 2012 04:29 AM

Doing it!!!!!!

Look out Regina here come the Woodys!!!!
Cant wait....

just a hats off to No D...great battle last night..hopefully more to come with u guys

Joey
Woodys

Comment Posted by jon Aug 30, 2012 07:49 PM

Good luck to each of the Winnipeg teams and those representing the PIT!

Here are my predictions for the championship finals in the annual labour day tournament:

Elite: Winnipeg Avengers vs Winnipeg Doggs
Intermediate: Winnipeg Rebels vs Winnipeg Woodys
Womens: Winnipeg Chargers (of Weiner & Taco fame) vs Winnipeg GG Dubs

The PIT Prognosticator

Comment Posted by Nolby Aug 31, 2012 01:24 AM

I predict I'll drink copious amounts of beer and win something some how this weekend!

Comment Posted by jon Sep 03, 2012 03:49 PM

The following is a rundown of the action at the Labour Day Tournament which had five PIT representatives, the Avengers, Doggs, Rebels, Woodys, and Chargers.

Friday Night:
The Chargers (Weiner and Taco minus the Weiners) brought a team of only 8 players but a pretty stacked 8. They played the Winnipeg GG Dubs under the lights and laid a pretty big beat down. After that performance Vegas installed the Chargers as huge favorites to win the tournament.

The Avengers played Rage an athletic young team from Regina. They played some crazy almost nonsensical defenses that caught the offense by surprise. The Avenger defense stepped up big and we eventually cruised despite the offenses inability to put up a lot of points. Highlight of the night was Owen’s apparent suicide attempt wherein he tried to jump under the wheels of Harlo’s truck at Earls after the game.

Saturday:
Rebels had three games and win the first one by a couple of touchdowns over the Regina Sharks. The Rebels looked to do the same later versus the Regina Monks but a late game collapse allowed the Monks to squeak out the game. Game three saw the Rebels run into a very good Moose Jaw Renegades team that dropped the Rebels to 1-2 and presumably out of the tournament.

Woodys also had three games losing the first game to the Edmonton Frosty RailDogs a combination of three elite teams from Edmonton. A controversial QB change allowed the RailDogs to snatch victory from defeat. Woodys put that game aside and knock off the Regina Blue Demons and Terzos with relative ease and punch their ticket to the semis Sunday morning.

The Doggs three games included the game of the day versus the #2 ranked team in the country the Regina Megalomania. The game lived up to the hype as Meglo defeated the Doggs by 1 point after a near bench clearing brawl and an opportunity for the Doggs to win with seconds remaining. The Doggs proved they are legit contenders in the elite division. Prior to and after the Megalo game the Doggs easily dispatched the Regina Warriors and Regina SMUDF also guaranteeing themselves a place in the final four.

Avengers had two games Saturday one versus the Saskatoon Toads and one versus the Regina Kobra Kai. Avengers sucked on offense, defense, and special teams for most of the day but still managed to pick up the victories. Highlight of the day was going for dinner at an amazing Italian place over which we cut everyone from the team which led to Draper eventually decapitating himself on a doorway.

Sunday:
Playoffs. Chargers, Avengers, Doggs, Woody’s and WTF the Rebels???? all made the semi-finals. Apparently three teams were tied in the Rebel’s division at 1-2 and the Rebels made it in on plus/minus! Too bad the Rebels didn’t figure it out until late Saturday night and prior to them getting loaded.

Chargers complete the round robin at 5-0 and play the Regina Twisted Limes in the final. Unfortunately for the Chargers 6 games in 2 days with 8 players caught up to them and they fell in an upset 7-6 after a late score and convert by the Limes.

Rebels fall by a touchdown to the Edmonton RailDogs in the semis which was a great show of intestinal fortitude…especially since the contents of most of the Rebels intestines were full of beer and tequila. Woodys also fall by a touchdown to the Moose Jaw Renegades after a controversial pass interference call on third down led to the Renegades winning score with time running out. Couple of calls go a different way and the Woodys would have been in the intermediate final.

Avengers play Doggs in the semis. While this game would have been much better in the finals the game at least ensured one Winnipeg team had a chance at the elite championship. Doggs start out fast getting a rouge after a botched kickoff return, get a turnover on downs, then throw a 70 yard score on their first play of offense! 4 minutes in the Avengers are down by 9! The Avengers offense and defense showed their usual steady hand and when they got the wind (which was pretty much a gale-force hurricane) put in 3 quick scores. From there the work of the Avengers rushers took over consistently hounding the Doggs QBs. Avengers gut out a win with a great performance after a slow start. The Doggs should hold their heads high, great games against two of Canada's best mean a bright future for this team once they get a little more experience.

Elite Championship Final: Avengers off to face Megalomania, #1 vs #2 in Canada, the third straight Labour Day Final between these two teams as well as a rematch of the National Championship game. Megalomania now have three ex-CFL roughriders on the team and their athleticism showed. Avengers get the first score but Megalo gets it right back and the 1st Quarter ends 8-8. Some uncharacteristically sloppy play by both teams led to a halftime score of 9-8 Megalomania. The Avengers get stopped quick in the second half as we threw into tree-snapping wind conditions (bit of an exaggeration). Megalo scores quick and adds another late to take a 22-8 lead into the 4th. A couple of turnovers exchanged eating up the clock and putting the Avengers repeat chances on deathwatch. The Avengers get the ball back deep in their own territory with 5 minutes left and no room for error. The offense drove the ball methodically score and get the two point convert to make it 22-16. Owen Nagy saves his best game for the finals kicking a monster shot on the ensuing kickoff for a rouge to make it 22-17 with only a few seconds until 5 plays remaining in the game (Regina has an odd rule that at the three minute warning there are only 5 plays left in the game, it’s a terrible system because good teams can get off more than twice as many plays with 3 minutes, but rules are rules). At any rate Marshall Cox comes up with a huge interception with only 2 seconds to 5 plays left giving the Avengers life. Set the scene: 6 plays and 60 yards to cover. Five plays later the Avengers are on the 1 yard line, last play of the game, touchdown to win it. One Gavin Panchuk post-corner/read hook/hand-grenade-pass later the Avengers complete the improbable comeback with the 1 point victory 23-22.

Sunday night became a gong show at Pure with the Rebels, Woodys, Chargers and GG Dubs doing their best to contribute to my alcohol poisoning. Santos I will get you! D makes Kanwal tap in a choke hold in the first annual Avengers MMA fight.

Big ups to all the Manitoba teams who represented the province and the PIT well. A play here or there different and we could have swept all the championships. Hopefully all the teams from this year will return next and bring a couple more PIT teams with them. Always a great time. This is year 19 for me heading down to Regina for the tournament, I would strongly recommend teams plan to play in these types of tournaments (especially considering its only a drive away!). Don't wear your Bomber colors however, they suck...hard. Hit up our Twitter feed for more pics and rundowns of the tournament action here: https://twitter.com/PITFOOTBALL

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by Alzies Sep 04, 2012 03:52 AM

Good thing I wasnt there, near bench brawl might have turned into a full on bench brawl lol

Comment Posted by neil72 Sep 04, 2012 10:32 AM

I would like to thank the rebels for having me out.

I know we all wanted to do better and win some free alcohol for Sunday, but things just didn't go our way.

That being said we still drank plenty of yards of beer (litterally)and, unfortunatley were turned down when we asked for our "yard beer tap" to be filled with coke so we could add our own crown..... that's right we tried to order several shots of crown and we were going to mix our own crown tap (fucking regina wouldn't let us do it)This pissed Some of us off so much it caused some to streak outside the press box (sports bar) and made us take our buisness elsewhere.

The great thing about playing in the Regina tournament besides all of the drinking, is you learn to appreciate what we have here. Our refs are so much better, and have such a better understanding of football it is redicoulous!!! and it is greatly appreciated.

When a quarterback is spiking balls into the ground to avoid a sack or hucking it 50 yards away from anyone on the field and the ref states " COME ON GUYS, THEY ARE TRYING TO SCORE, WHY WOULD THEY THROW IT AWAY" and the other ref says "HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF SOMEONE RAN THE WRONG ROUTE" lol........ and i am not exagerating the 50 yards away either, it is nice to be from Winnipeg where the training is there and the understanding of the game is so much greater. I can say, Winnipeg supplied the tops refs in that tournament, and it was tough to find anyone who was even close to as good as our refs.

Comment Posted by jon Sep 04, 2012 12:13 PM

Great point Neil. The PIT is miles ahead of all other provinces that I have played in terms of reffing. There is a reason that guys like Brad ref all the top level games when he goes to other tournaments. The PIT definitely trains people better and gets them more prepared than other leagues who let their refs sink or swim (most sink). I'd put up head refs like Brad, Chris Silva, Cliff Kitchen, Shawn Howell, Donny D, Al D, etc up against any province.

Crown will be the death of me

Jon

Comment Posted by Premier "BIG" Man Sep 05, 2012 03:57 AM

Congrats guys on the repeat! Sounds like it was a real nail biter. Do I hear 3-peat?

Comment Posted by woodys1 Sep 05, 2012 05:23 AM

I had a ton of fun at that tourney as well as I believe most of the guys on the woodys did..I had the unfortunate timing of being wintess to the press box streaking by Mr.Coolidge(what a crazy bastard!!!)btw Neil forgot to mention that he was the instigator in the coolige streaking incident, thanks for that!!!

The reffing in the pit is top notch compared to the rest of western canada. I have only played in 2 tourneys in the last 2 years..so i am still a rookie when travelling and so far the experiences in other provinces has not been good. The reffing in Regina with the exception of a few refs was terrible. In four games we played, we had only 6 flags thrown ,5 against us for a variety of reasons. one of which was total crap and turned the tide of the game completely in our semi-final. The only other flag that was thrown actually went for us.It was the rusher contacting the qb. Which to no ones surprise was the thrown by BRAD KELM!!! The rusher hurt Gibbons hand, and the rusher complained adamantly that he did not deserve the call..lol
In our last game of the day on saturday we started it with one official, thank God it was Brad!!

I would just like to say Brad Kelm is one of the top officials, hence him reffing the big games in out of town tourneys.
Even other provinces know this. The next time anyone complains about officiating in the pit. Go out of town and see what other officiating is like..yikes

I also just want to say thanks to the guys from other teams who traveled with us to regina for the tourney. It was great to renew old friend ships and start new ones. Tyler who flew in from BC(dude loves football), Brandon, JJ,Andrew,Pierre,Jessie,Kyle,Donovan(thanks for the notes),Jamie B(loves his biceps..lol) Santos& Gibbons..both guys dont even remember sunday night..lol
you boyz were a great bunch of guys to travel with and play ball with..thanks to all u !! It will be a trip soon not forgotten.

Joey
Woodys

Comment Posted by JJ Sep 05, 2012 05:39 AM

This was my first time ever playing touch football outside of manitoba. Most of the PIT refs are outstanding, the rest are still good! At this tournament the Woodys and I really felt "robbed" in our semi finals game. Come and ask one of us about it lol. But the more important matter is I had the best weekend. I could not have been happier with how the Woodys were assembled and played. I truly liked everyone on the Woodys and for a bunch of random guys for the most part, we played very well. I tip my hat to Joey who did a great job of finding guys to accompany the regular Woodys. Not only did I make a huge bunch of friends from my team like Jamie, Santos, Gibbons, Joey, Jessie, Kyle, Andrew and Donovan but I made a lot of other friends from the Rebels and Avengers. Which brings me to the important point of how tight knit our league is! PIT players, from elite to division 19, most of us are loyal. I played against all or most of these teammates and travelers before in stiff competition, but at the drop of a dime we were all getting along, making new friendships over Crown, which I now apparently drink a lot of thanks to Mr Santos and Franklin lol oh and we cant forget the Mount Gaye right Joey!

I will be most certainly doing this again, great bunch of guys and girls out this weekend. Congrats to the Avengers, Woodys, Rebels, Chargers and all the other Winnipeg teams.

PS Remember, if you put all the teams from Winnipeg in one club in Regina like Sunday, you would make a super team party. (Woodys inside joke from the trip)

JJ

Comment Posted by woodys1 Sep 05, 2012 05:55 AM

JJ you made some big catches for us...thanks for coming with us man, Super Party...

LMAO!!!!!!

Joey
Woodys

Comment Posted by neil72 Sep 05, 2012 10:53 AM

i bet all the woody's now know what time it is too!!!!!

right Joey??

Comment Posted by Damian Sep 05, 2012 11:35 AM

Is it "GAME TIME"?????

Comment Posted by woodys1 Sep 05, 2012 11:55 AM

Thats all i heard all weekend....at some point early sunday around 2:30a.m. in our hotel room..thought it was a bad dream..thank God I did not wake up and see Gwizon and Coolidge running sprints naked down our hallway...hahaha

dont forget about the woo!!!! lmao

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com