Forums » In the PIT » Parity in the PIT

Messages for Parity in the PIT

Comment Posted by jon May 31, 2009 07:22 PM

Two more closely contested games on Sunday with the South Side Trojans knocking off the Rebels by a single point 13-12 in the early game, then the Doggs defeated the Guild of Calamitous Intent 30-26 in a seesaw battle in the late matchup. Only 12 days into the season yet we only have four undefeated teams remaining.

Any given Sunday in the PIT!

Comment Posted by jon Jun 19, 2009 07:40 AM

Another set of great games last night in the PIT. The Mighty Schmucks avenged their earlier loss in the season to the Micronauts and so did Morningwood by besting the Rebels. Both games between the latter two teams have come down to a single point right at the end of the game to win.

All the divisions look great in terms of parity, especially division 2 which could be the most closely contested division in memory (4 teams tied for first close to the one-third mark of the season!). Any given Sunday (or other day of the week).

Comment Posted by jon Jul 04, 2009 04:35 AM

Some great games the last couple of days in the PIT. On Thursday, Marty Bender hooked up with Trevor Smart of the Micronauts to score the winning TD with 4 seconds remaining to defeat the Weekend Warriors 24-20. This game featured multiple lead changes. Then Morningwood stormed back against No D, however the game winning drive stalled on the 20 yard line as No D preserved a 6 point win. Last night the Ratz offense finally got on track versus the River City Hitmen where the game remained close until a Shane Munson interception return for a TD. In the late game the Pylons narrowly escaped with a victory against the upstart Mighty Schmucks who led the game for all but the last minute. Mike Nelson ran in the score that set up the 2-point convert for victory. Mike then hooked up with Brett Holfield for the 2-point convert to win 14-13 despite the Schmucks getting a good piece of the ball.

Comment Posted by The Rouge Jul 04, 2009 07:40 AM

There was also that 66-0 thrashing a little while back that really speaks to league parity lol. For the most part you are right though, competition has been great, league is a success, good job!

Comment Posted by scott Jul 04, 2009 08:52 AM

The Rouge, in the Ratz defence you have to weigh in all the factors.

1. The QB has been playing with torn ligaments in his throwing hand (Crazy and or Brave).
2. The Ratz were a top 1,2 or 3 team in the city 15 years ago, and the rust comes off a little slower than the twenty something players.
3. It was a crossover game vs a div 1 team that was firing on all cylinders. Not even a playoff possibility.
4. Games 19,20,and 21 are the ones that count. I know the Morningwood team doesn't want to see them round one!
5. My head still hurts from Canada day......
6. Don't bring a hair brush to a Ratz game
http://

Thanks for the props.

Scott

Comment Posted by scott Jul 05, 2009 05:35 AM

Yesterday the PIT enjoyed its first overtime shootout game which involved the Aints and the Ninja Malitia. The game was a back and forth battle, which had many lead changes. It was certainly a pleasure to watch this one. Both teams came to play, in a game that had a kick-off lateral interception returned for a touchdown, the only problem was GRob who intercepted the ill advised lateral had a four yard head start over the ball being kicked (Flag, off side)!!!! The Ninja team played a great game with a strong showing from Mike, Dave and Gord. David threw for 4 touchdowns and Luis had two sacks. For the Aints Ian had 18 points, Justin threw for 4 touchdowns, Sean a score, and the big man Ryan using the vice grip hands scoring the overtime victory.

Great game guys

Scott

Comment Posted by megatron Jul 10, 2009 12:39 AM

From a washed up Rat just want to say great league !!! I haven't played in a long time and wow you guys are right it takes some time for the rust to come off!!
Thanks for trying to breakdown our old and washed up team Scott. To be honest we knew we would take some lumps early in the year. There are many teams ( or all of them ) that have younger players than we do. They have played for a few seasons recently and we have clearly not. However if we started in any other div the result would have been the same. We have been fighting the injury bug and are waiting for a few key players to return as well. Luckily we managed a win but in my opinion and many others on our team we are in the right div this year.
Just wanted to add the teams we have played and lost to this year all showed class in slaughtering us. They were all clearly the better teams at that moment in the season than we were but never rubbed it in nor humiliated us. Yeh the 66-0 that was a slaughter but to there defence they just played there game as well.
Other than that the refs have been great so far this year and your fields ..... minus the cow pasture at sherbo cove are nice as well. Hopefully we can put a few winss together and make our div even closer than some might want.
p.s. I should have come out of retirement about 5 years ago!!!
go Lions!!!

Comment Posted by william Jul 10, 2009 03:23 AM

Rick I've seen you run. You aren't washed up. You could use a good cleaning but you run like the wind.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Jul 10, 2009 04:21 AM

Lions suck!

Comment Posted by scott Jul 11, 2009 09:00 AM

Megatron, "Rick" we want all teams to go 9-9 and draw straws for playoff matches. Take it easy on Morningwood though.

Scott

Lions suck!!!

Comment Posted by rick13 Jul 14, 2009 01:49 AM

The lions aren't that bad they just need 6 or 7 more guys on offence and the same on defence. If they manage that they should be at least .500 !!!
Scott maybe I should be asking Morningwood to take it easy on us the last time I looked they beat us 40-0. Yikes !!!

Comment Posted by The Rouge Jul 14, 2009 01:46 PM

Yeah that shootout was a great game, thanks for the summary Scott that was cool.

If a "certain" player was not so damn short the Militia may have come out on top - I had the coverage!

Comment Posted by jon Jul 14, 2009 02:16 PM

We actually have had 3 OT games in the last week. The Aints won twice in OT (29-28 over Ninja Milita), then in their next game 21-20 over the Titans to steal the moniker of the cardiac kids away from the Beer Belly Bastards. Ryan Martin was the hero in both games catching the OT winners. Then Rinkside joined the fray beating the Rebels 9-8 in what appears to be a baseball game judging by the score. RB took time out from making our streets safer to pull in the winning score.

Comment Posted by jon Aug 15, 2009 07:03 AM

We may have trumped our other evenings in the PIT last night as we had two match ups come down to the last plays of the game.

In the early game the Doggs defeated the Aztecs by not only scoring on the last play of the game but nailing the two point convert for victory. The Doggs had less than 2 minutes to drive the majority of the field to score. One the last play of the game Mike Nelson hit Todd Kauk for the Hail Mary and then followed it up with a strike to Daryl Janzen for the 37-36 victory. The game started with 3 TDs in the first 4 plays of the game in a barn-burner.

In the late game the Broncos knocked off the Ho Jo Express 27-26. Aaron Giesbrecht calmly led the Ho Jo Express down the field throwing a dart for the tying touchdown late in the game, but with under three minutes Al Desaulniers led the Broncos game saving charge. With 5 seconds left he punted for the rouge which was summarily caught and punted back out. Mike Brownridge then caught the ensuing punt and put it back through the endzone for the one-point victory.

Two more great games in the PIT.

Comment Posted by jon Sep 21, 2009 06:21 AM

Great season of parity in the PIT league with many of the playoff matchups coming down to the final weekend.

During the weekend the Micronauts upset the Ho Jo Express 19-18 in a cross over game. Marty Bender lead the Micronauts down with seconds left in the game for the winning score.

The short handed Guild knocked off the short handed Doggs in a back and forth affair setting up a rematch next week in the first round of the playoffs.

And finally in perhaps the most even division in my memory, division 2 came down to the wire with three teams having a chance at first place on the final day of the season. Morningwood knocked off their rivals the South Side Trojans but needed The River City Hitmen to defeat No D to have a chance at first. Not only did the Hitmen win 21-20 but did so in overtime with Patrick Allen hitting Jeremy Guenette for the winning point.

Any given Sunday (or other day of the week) in the PIT

Comment Posted by jon Sep 26, 2009 02:30 PM

A day of upsets:

It would appear that Division 2 continues to be the most evenly matched in football (touch or otherwise!). Congrats to the sixth seeded South Side Trojans who upset the third seeded River City Hitmen, and the seventh seeded Ratz who defeated the second seeded No D. Only Rinkside couldn't pull off an upset as the fourth seeded Rebels knocked off the fifth seed. Morningwood should feel lucky (for now) that during the last weekend everything conceivable went right for them to claim first place.

Some real interesting match ups already in the second round of the playoffs.

Comment Posted by jon Sep 27, 2009 04:45 PM

No major upsets the second day of playoffs in the PIT but we did decide the first championship games.

In the fourth division Big Deal will take on Ninja Militia, and in Division 1 the Aztecs take on the Guild of Calamitous Intent. Both should be barn burners. Winners will decide the first ever outdoor championships, with members of the winning teams having their names permanently inscribed on the trophy ala the Stanley Cup.

All games for next weekend have been placed up on the schedules page.

Comment Posted by rey Sep 29, 2009 03:01 AM

will there be an arrow marker inscribed on the trophy to indicate which way is up?

Comment Posted by jon Sep 30, 2009 01:21 PM

Well the nicest trophies in touch football are in the shape of a cup, so if the beer doesn't stay in it when poured you have to turn it over.

Jon

Comment Posted by rey Oct 01, 2009 06:38 PM

so, like a tea cup?

Comment Posted by scott Oct 02, 2009 05:14 AM

Rey must be the lead singer from Def Leppard! 2008-09 NHL fiasco. Rey, do you care to make some predictions for the divs?

Comment Posted by rey Oct 02, 2009 07:58 AM

i WAS the lead singer for def leppard until they tossed me in favour of that squealing turkey. pour some sugar on me, indeed.

my prediction for the div 1 final is that i will NOT pretend this is volleyball and attempt to bump or set one of mike's passes into the defender's (likely yours) hands, as i have done in each of the previous four weeks. instead, i will be BRINGIN ON THE HEARTACHE, FOOLIN jonnie, taking ACTION, hope you guys don't get STAGEFRIGHT when you're COMIN' UNDER FIRE (incidentally, all my best contributions to the def leppard oeuvre (don't you love how they dropped all those dangling g's to make themselves feel cool and fresh and hip in the post-rey era?)).

uh, i'm missing the NHL fiasco reference. please illuminate.

Comment Posted by scott Oct 02, 2009 11:02 AM

http://

Rey,sticking with your theme, a video or PHOTOGRAPH is worth a thousand words. In this case this faux pas caused quite the HYSTERIA, but not a ARMAGEDDON IT. There's no FOOLIN that these are soccer boys, and not hockey folk. Off topic a bit...DIE HARD THE HUNTER!

Scott

Comment Posted by jon Oct 02, 2009 11:58 AM

Def Leppard sucks.

Comment Posted by rey Oct 02, 2009 05:28 PM

no, you suck.

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Oct 03, 2009 04:04 AM

ooohhh....vicious...

Comment Posted by rey Oct 03, 2009 08:59 AM

communist.

Comment Posted by scott Oct 04, 2009 05:43 AM

Any given day in the PIT! The number six seed will play the number seven seed for the div two Championship today!!!!!!! Best division in Winnipeg, bar none.

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com