Forums » Fields » Sherbo Cove

Messages for Sherbo Cove

Comment Posted by jon May 27, 2009 07:21 PM

Sherbo Cove had the grass cut today (thanks to Owen Nagy our resident mixologist for getting us the riding lawn mower - it sure beats cutting the field with a push mower!). The field also had all of the field markings drawn out and the top soil that was laid down a couple of weeks ago was raked in preparation for our first games at the field on Saturday.

All of the field lining (5 yard increments, hash marks, player boxes, convert markings, etc) will be completed on Friday to provide the best conditions we can offer for Saturdays games.

Also, just a reminder that there are no goal post pads at Sherbo Cove so there will be no need for teams to go out of their way to pick up/return pads.

Comment Posted by jkull May 28, 2009 06:28 AM

Finally, a walking distance field!!

Comment Posted by jon May 28, 2009 07:38 AM

Feel free to walk over on Friday after work and help us line the fields!

Jon

Comment Posted by jkull May 28, 2009 08:19 AM

Did I say walk? I meant drive of course :)

Comment Posted by dubblezeero May 28, 2009 08:50 AM

yeah, it just means that the wife and kids will expect you home sooner after games....

Comment Posted by jon May 29, 2009 04:01 PM

Sherbo Cove is officially open for business. A full compliment of lines, field markings, hash marks, players boxes, etc have been added to the fields. A lot of work went into getting that field to the point of where it is at. Thanks to all who shoveled, raked, mowed, lined, and drank on the field.

Jon

Comment Posted by Ostar May 29, 2009 09:42 PM

I will drink on any field that needs to be drunk on!

Comment Posted by rey May 30, 2009 05:52 AM

i wonder if i'm as fast here as at maple grove.

Comment Posted by jon Jul 10, 2009 04:07 PM

Sherbo Cove was cut and lined to PIT standards today in preparation for our games tomorrow.

Things we learned today:

Scott can win a staring contest against a 12 year old on a bike.
Owen does not like Old Milwaukee Beer but will drink all of them if he has to.
People in Trancona are unlike those who live in other areas of the city.
Jeff Kull must never cut his grass.

Comment Posted by Kip32 Jul 12, 2009 09:01 AM

Seriously, Sherbo Cove is not up to snuff yet. Walking up to the field it looks great with the lines, but playing on it is a different thing. Yesterday I went to dive to make a tag, my knee literally split the earth, leaving a dinner plate size divot and it was pretty much 6 inches deep. I have never seen that in my life, I'm now stuck, not being able to walk around much due to a messed up knee and ankle from that field. If you don't believe me how big this divot was ask anyone on So Smooth or the SS Trojans. It is my opinion, that that field needs some more maintenance before somebody really hurts themselves on it.

Comment Posted by scott Jul 12, 2009 09:22 AM

Kip don't you think that the fact the ground gave way is a good thing? The field was soft a few days ago while doing the lines (Friday night), a quality not many fields have in the city. I'm thinking that may have saved you from serious injury??? I think the members of the Pit have come to expect the best, and in my opinion we are providing that. Where is this spot so we can repair it? Yardage aprox...

Our efforts thus far at Sherbo http://www.pitfootball.com/albums/158

Scott

Comment Posted by jkull Jul 14, 2009 04:28 AM

I do cut my grass!

After looking at that field before you cut it, I thought "o man, it is pretty long, oops".

It looks pretty good now :)

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Jul 14, 2009 09:25 AM

buy a goat!

Comment Posted by jon Aug 14, 2009 05:19 PM

Sherbo Cove was cut and lined today with all the requisite PIT accoutrements that go along with it.

Things we learned today:
Owen has mad lawnmower skillz.
In Transcona no one cares that your have 'beverages' in a public park.
Jeff Kull still does not cut his grass.

Comment Posted by jon Aug 27, 2009 08:06 AM

Sherbo Cove is currently being cut by Scott, while Owen drinks green tea and fights with Rogers. Field looks to be in great shape for the final few weeks of the season.

Comment Posted by jon Sep 13, 2009 12:13 PM

Sherbo Cove was lined today to keep the lines pristine down the home stretch. The city also fertilized and put down herbicide to keep the grass green and the weeds away. Working on a 160 x 80 yard mosquito net.

Comment Posted by rey Sep 13, 2009 05:25 PM

was it a biodegradable herbicide or am i going to lose an arm or grow another head next week?

Comment Posted by dubblezeero Sep 14, 2009 01:43 AM

hopefully you grow a pair of hands Rey!! :o)

Comment Posted by rey Sep 14, 2009 05:51 PM

everyone else is a communist.
you, cliff, on the other hand, are a prophet.

and by the way, i'd settle for brown, knee bustin' grass if it meant there'd be no mosquitos.

Comment Posted by scott Sep 16, 2009 08:15 AM

Brown knee busting grass............... we call that mud Mr Rey!!!!

Won't find any of that in the PIT.

Comment Posted by scott Apr 27, 2010 03:44 PM

The PIT crew spent hours applying nearly five yards of soil to Sherbo Cove today. Great weather to soak in some sun and eat some dirt....... The PIT crew hopes to start going full tilt on all our fields this weekend. Don't answer your phone, consider this fair warning!!!

Scott

Comment Posted by Nolby May 07, 2010 12:29 PM

If you guys need any help I'd be more than happy to give a hand.

Comment Posted by jon May 08, 2010 03:25 PM

The PIT got in our field maintenance equipment during the week and we tested it out at Sherbo Cove. We ran the thatcher over Sherbo, aerated it, seeded it and fertilized the field. Sherbo Cove gets introduced into the schedule early June which gives the PIT plenty of time to "manicure" the fields and get them in optimal playing conditions.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by jon Jun 07, 2010 07:51 PM

Sherbo Cove was cut, "manicured", squared, lined, and given all the PIT accouterments you have become accustomed to. Check out the transformation in our photo gallery here: http://pitfootball.com/albums/287

Only in the PIT will you have freshly lined fields every 3 weeks!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com