Forums » In the PIT » Flag Football Division: Looking for something new?

Messages for Flag Football Division: Looking for something new?

Comment Posted by Jordan "JJ" Sep 18, 2023 11:59 PM

Have been playing touch football thanks to PIT since it’s inaugural indoor season. Touch football will always have a spot in my heart, and I will continue to have my teams that I always had. But, less than a year ago now I found a new love in flag football and I honestly wish it was here sooner. As a quarterback and coach, it essentially feels like touch football on steroids (legal of course). The rules are frankly not that much different aside from the obvious flag versus one hand touch. It’s quite clear, here in Manitoba we have the biggest league in Canada and we are proud of it. But it’s also cause touch football has been essentially completely wiped out in our neighbouring provinces by flag football. It’s going to be in the next summer Olympics for goodness sake! Now, because of lack of interest here there’s a chance we won’t even have a flag division. I speak for myself and my friends of the other flag teams when we say we want more interest and we are here to help! We would love to share our knowledge and help grow the game. In a league full of 20+ divisions I know there is interest and whether it be drafting teams, or free agent teams. The league won’t really take Flag seriously until we are around 6-10 teams. If you’re looking for something new, or have grown tired of doing the same thing I urge you to try! There are so many videos on YT, highlight reel stuff if you want to see what I’m talking about. There’s nothing like making 4 defenders miss on a 1 yard dump pass or screen play. Nothing like running crazy formations from under centre (illegal in touch). Even as an offensive minded guy, best part has to be a dramatic flag pull on a third down conversion attempt. Ever get a penalty negated by reaching for the goal line? Legal in flag! I could go on and on, but I just wanted to get this out now before flag season officially goes to waste. Come try, you won’t regret it!

Comment Posted by armi_24 Oct 05, 2023 10:46 AM

I agree that flag football definitely has the potential to be fun. My team has talked about joining the flag division in the past but the deciding factor that has always stopped us is that it seems to only be Div 1 type players who play. Frankly, no one wants to play against teams that are just going to crush you. The Arrows' Winter 2023 season is a perfect example of what I mean. They went 0-5 and had the largest minus point differential in the league; I can't imagine they had a lot of fun. Coed used to have a similar issue where the top team would win every year and no one else had fun. Thankfully there have been enough teams lately for multiple divisions. I think you're on the right track with the drafting idea. If the talent was spread evenly across teams there may be more interest. I can speak for my team in saying that we would be more likely to play if that were the case.

Comment Posted by jon Oct 09, 2023 03:54 PM

https://apnews.com/article/oiympics-flag-football-cricket-baseball-a3412d3f4e87563ede4c369f21b6c765

We are getting closer to putting PIT players in the Olympics!

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by jon Oct 16, 2023 10:11 AM

Football Canada Celebrates Historic

Olympic Flag Football Inclusion at Los Angeles 2028

A path to Olympic gold has opened up for Canadian Football in 2028

October 16, 2023

MUMBAI/VANCOUVER/OTTAWA – Football Canada, in partnership with the International Federation of American Football (IFAF), the National Football League (NFL), and USA Football, is celebrating the historic decision made during today's International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Mumbai, India. Flag football will now be included in the official program of the Olympic Games in Los Angeles 2028.

Jim Mullin, President of Football Canada and IFAF General Secretary, expressed deep gratitude for the entire Canadian football community. "We would like to extend our heartfelt appreciation to the IOC, the LA28 committee, IFAF, and our partners at the NFL for paving the way to international gridiron success," Mullin said. "With today's LA '28 announcement, we anticipate a surge in demand for participation in all aspects of gridiron football across Canada."

The IOC's decision follows thorough deliberations and recommendations from the IOC Executive Board, the IOC Olympic Program Commission, and the Los Angeles 2028 organizing committee, concluding a comprehensive two-year evaluation process.

This historic moment results from the "Vision 28" partnership, a ground-breaking collaboration between IFAF and the NFL, which places flag football at the forefront of their shared sports development objectives. "Flag football as an Olympic sport will be transformative for our game, both in Canada and globally,” Mullin said. “Across our country, participants engage with our sport from a much younger age through flag football, creating a deeper talent pool for both flag and tackle games."

Flag football, known for its quick, non-contact, and gender-inclusive format, is celebrated as the most accessible version of American football. It drives substantial growth in global participation in gridiron football, particularly among female athletes. "The growth of flag football in Canada has enabled our organization to prioritize gender equity and female participation. We are committed to establishing the necessary support systems to promote growth in female coaching, officiating, and leadership for long-term sustainability and international success," Mullin said.

An estimated 20 million individuals in over 100 countries actively participate in flag football. This number continues to rise alongside the surging international popularity of the NFL, which boasts a worldwide fan base of 340 million enthusiasts. In the coming year, 65 national representative teams will compete in IFAF continental flag football competitions, building momentum towards the largest-ever IFAF World Flag Football Championships set to take place in Lahti, Finland, in August 2024. This event promises to be a spectacular showcase of talent and sportsmanship on the global stage.

Mullin concluded, "Canada has always been at the heart of our sport's origins. Through the collaboration with stakeholders such as the CFL teams, U SPORTS, and NFL Canada, we believe we have the foundation to help lead the world into the next chapter of our sport."

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com