Forums » In the PIT » Passing of "Dad" Jonker

Messages for Passing of "Dad" Jonker

Comment Posted by jon Dec 19, 2020 11:16 PM

The PIT regrets to inform its members that long time player Cornelius Jonker, or as most in the league knew him as "Dad", passed away on December 12th. Dad played in the PIT since 2014 and suited up in other leagues such as the UTFL prior to joining our league. A very large contingent of our members have played with and against Mr. Jonker, and I am sure everyone who has can attest to his sportsmanship and zeal for the game of football.

Dad Jonker was our oldest player in the league at 72 years of age. With Covid restrictions this past summer Dad didn't make it on the field. However, he was on the sidelines at a few games including the always highly anticipated "Garden Gnome" bowl against his comedic adversaries the Kraken. Playing center is a tough position, and to do it into your 70s is an incredible and rarefied feat. I am sure all of us hope to still be able to play the game at that age.

Here is a link to Dad Jonker's player profile: https://pit.redzoneleagues.com/stats/player/45810 and to his obituary https://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/passage-details/id-294646/JONKER_CORNELIUS

Dad Jonker also holds the all-time record for oldest player to have an interception at 69 years, 10 months and 4 days. A record that we don't see ever being broken. Touch football lost a great representative of what a player should be like on and off the field.

Our condolences go out to the entire Jonker family.

Comment Posted by Spider Dec 20, 2020 03:08 PM

Mr. Jonker was an inspiration to me! He was always one of the first Jonker clan to greet me when we assembled pre- game as did the boys. How he even managed to stand up after snapping after all those years amazed me, and then catch the ball !

I was amazed he could still play at his age, and I always thought to myself, if he can do it, I can manage to ref!

Can we. Nominate him to maybe a special category for the Hall of Fame?. He would be in a class almost by himself.
It's been a tough year for the family'.

It's sad to mourn his loss, but. I will choose to honor his accomplishments and how a class act and true sportsman he was. He was a true gentleman!

My condolences to the family!

Comment Posted by johnjonker Jan 11, 2021 10:03 PM

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who we have been able to connect with. As you can imagine it has been difficult to even do something together as a family, let alone include any of you. Dad loved this game but more so loved the community that surrounded it. He was a social genius who could strike up a conversation with anyone from any team.

I will always remember him wearing long pants and a work shirt under his jersey even if it was 30+ degrees, his positive attitude no matter what the score, his love of slurpees after the game but mostly the way he "waddle ran" after a catch giggling like a kid.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

John Jonker
QB Blast From the Past

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com