Forums » In the PIT » Something needs to change

Messages for Something needs to change

Comment Posted by Gus Jul 12, 2012 04:02 PM

We played a game today where the other team called the game with almost 3 minutes left and we were well within scoring position. Tie breakers for teams with the same record is based on plus/minus. How can we be denied the opportunity for points if we need them for the standings?

I agree with the rule that teams can call it as it limits chances of players getting frustrated and acting up if being routed. However if this is the rule than tie breakers should be based on teams records against each other first and plus/minus second.

Comment Posted by Scott Jul 12, 2012 05:53 PM

Hey Gus, Jon and I totally agree with you regarding teams that finish tied in the standing. Wins versus your opponents is the the tiebreaker when finishing tied in the standings, unless you have a default, and in this case the team with a default during the season loses all tiebreakers (punishing teams that default is a must). Unfortunately the rational behind the implementation of this rule is to prevent the team that is winning from making a team that has conceded defeat to continue. Regardless in The PIT all teams make the playoffs. As league administrators we feel the positives greatly outweigh any negatives.

Here is the tiebreaker format:
Playoff Seeding (tie-breakers):
First tie-breaker: In the event that two teams are tied and one of those teams has defaulted a game during the regular season, the non-defaulting team (or team with fewer defaults) will automatically receive the higher seed
Second tie-breaker: Head to head
Third tie-breaker: Head to head plus minus
Fourth tie-breaker: Plus-minus overall
Fifth tie-breaker: Points against
Sixth tie-breaker: Coin flip
Seventh tie-breaker: In the event the coin lands on its side a team drinking competition will ensue

Note: In the event that three or more teams are tied, if two (or more) clubs remain tied after one team has been eliminated from the tie-breaker system during any step (i.e., made playoffs), the tie breaker reverts back to step 1 of the tie-breaker system

Thanks,

Scott

Comment Posted by jon Jul 12, 2012 08:02 PM

Tiebreaker rules are spelled out here: http://www.pitfootball.com/menu/outdoor-rules-2012

Head-to-head is the deciding factor for tiebreakers other than if a default has occurred. Can't wait to the day that the 7th tie-breaker comes into play. Here is a clip from the first time that particular tiebreaker was enacted:

http://

Pretty sure that guy second from the left is Kanwal. DAS BOOT!

Comment Posted by Alzies Jul 13, 2012 05:57 AM

All I have to say on this topic is ---you can go to school but you cant buy CLASS!

As someone who has played numerous games over the years, being on either side of a blowout is not fun. I can assume this was a blowout.

Comment Posted by neil72 Jul 13, 2012 06:07 AM

i tend to agree with this, i don't see the issue with downing the ball. I have seen the scuffles that have happened when teams decide not to in lopsided games, so i like the fact that the option is there and is used in most games where a team is up a couple scores or more.

It does appear the team the original poster is on is 1-1 against the team they beat and they still won the the head to head point differential anyways, which would come before an overall plus minus tiebreak, so this probably won't become a factor in the playoff seeding for that particular situation if those two teams ended up tied in the standings.

I am pretty sure there are a few divisions every season where tiebreakers are used to determine seeding, however, it is very rare that it makes it to the fourth tie breaker anyways.

Comment Posted by Gus Jul 13, 2012 07:30 AM

Alzies - to your comments:

I was told by the ref after the game that rule for tie breakers is based on plus/minus. My entire team was under this same impression, which is why we couldn't understand how they could have a rule of calling the game anytime after the half.

If anything, I failed on due diligence if in fact the rule this year has always been that in tie breakers records against comes before plus/minus. My understanding in years past was that it was based on plus/minus before records against. I agree with the rule as no one wants to be on the end of a rout which I have been many times over the years; and it discourages good sportsmanship.

Maybe when you were in school you should have spent less time assuming and more time listening.

Comment Posted by Grizzled Old Vet Jul 13, 2012 08:52 AM

Sorry if I mislead you Dave. I was referring to plus/minus being one of the tie breaking procedures.

Comment Posted by Alzies Jul 13, 2012 10:32 AM

Atleast as a captain I would know the rules going into the game and also realize that the game was against the last place team in the division so the chances of it going to tie breaker against them are very very slim.

Just sayin....

I have no idea why teams like to run up scores.

Comment Posted by cwentz Jul 19, 2012 03:35 AM

@Scott/Jon, is there any way you swap the 7th tiebreaker for the 1st? Actually I think its only right to solve any and all disputes with a DAS BOOT drink off!

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com