Forums » In the PIT » Physics - football

Messages for Physics - football

Comment Posted by neil72 Nov 28, 2011 10:07 AM

This post is mainy inteded to be comical, and not taken too seriously. Please don't take it as ref bashing but meerly friend bashing.

In a game on the weekend where i was sparing for another team, i happend to be refereed by Mr Chris Burntshaw (Earnshaw to most people) I have now been debating one of his calls with him ever since. I am having this debate with him because he is trying to pull a physics lesson over on me as the reason he made a call. The situation was I ran a back of the end zone in out, and i caught the ball however, because of the way i brought the ball down to my mid section he said that i bobbled the ball (which i knew i hadn't) The game was out of hand so it was completely irrelevant and we scored on the next play anyways. Anywho....... after a discussion with the other ref who was blocked out, it was not called a TD, and as i walked by him i poked a little fun at him and he insisted that the plain physics of it didn't make sense. He didn't actually see the bobble...... but the physics didn't make sense!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA really??? Like REALLLY!!

Now don't get me wrong every other call made in that game was 100% correct including a pass interence call that often is one of the toughest to call when feet tangle, but was called correctly because a players advantage was taken away, but when a ref is blocked out and can't see the play, don't say i called it because the physics didn't make sense. Just lie and say i saw you bobble it LMFAO!!!! Now i am getting e-mails all day about the projection of the football times the degree of gravitational pull and stuff trying to justify his call!!!!!!!!!

COMON MAN!!!!!!!

He's going to hate me for this post and i am sure there will be some responses saying i shouldn't have double clutched or something....LOL, and perhaps he can teach us all how to better understand the physics of this game.

Jon/Scott you should give him his own blog on here, so we can all become better aquainted with the physics of this great game.

Again.......this isn't Ref bashing, just simple old fashion Chris bashing, who is one of my teamates and captain of the deadzone.

Comment Posted by neil72 Nov 28, 2011 10:21 AM

One place we could use physics i suppose is to try to explain how with the velocity that Palardy shanked that one field goal into the upright in the first half, how it still had momentum to carry forward through the uprights.

Bombers need a kicker a punter, an o-line, and a offensive coordinator for next year and we will win it all.

I love how we have a gun slinger of a QB, who isn't allowed to sling it.

Comment Posted by jon Nov 28, 2011 06:54 PM

Following Neal's lead, via Mr. Earnshaw, a Newtonian physics explanation as to why our "gunslinger" doesn't throw the ball so much as use himself as a battering ram at this point in his career: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC155415/

A heads up that the playoff schedule should be posted tonight.

The PIT Crew

Comment Posted by bigern Nov 29, 2011 03:15 AM

Oh Neil, I need not explain myself but in the interest of promoting such wonderfully written prose (ever heard of spell check?) I will expand a little on your story. (tongue in cheek)
Though I couldn't FULLY see the ball and your hands, I could see them mostly and I could extrapolate the rest. The ball hit you in the hands near your head (hands faced out, fingers up) and ended up (as you crossed the out of bounds line) with your hands cupping the ball from underneath, fingers facing away from your body. If you make this motion right now, you will see that by necessity you must release the ball with both hands for at least a split second to end up there. Thus, the physics made the call. Now I believe you believe you are right, and who knows, I may be wrong. But based on the information at hand, it was the call I made. There was no bias, there never is (though some would state otherwise). I don't care who wins, as I am sure all the refs will attest is their philosophy also, and I will blow calls from time to time. All I think any players can ask is that we try to get it right. HOWEVER, this call was right and all I can say is next time try to catch it when it first touches your hands... you are supposed to be an elite receiver.

Chris.

Comment Posted by neil72 Nov 29, 2011 03:31 AM

HAHAHA!!!

I will keep this response brief, as i don't want to have too many more spelling errors. I wasn't saying you were biased, don't worry it was clear there was no bias in that game.
Just bugging u and letting u know that i did catch it. Comon, am i really going to drop that ball??

My right hand did contact the ball a bit awkwardly, however it never released from the ball. I caught it right on the point of the ball with that hand and i brought it down without the ball ever moving. I then proceeded to walk back to the huddle with the ball in that hand without repositioning my fingers (fingers pointing down), lol!!! i made a point to do that, so your magic fingers up explanation is kind of an interesting one, because i can assure you the fingers on my right hand were pointing down (not sure about the left hand).

In the end i just like bugging you and the fact that you told me the physics of it didn't make sense made me laugh on the field and off because i have never heard a ref say that to me in touch or tackle football.

Ok not so brief.

Comment Posted by neil72 Nov 29, 2011 03:46 AM

Oh..... BTW did i mention you are cut??

:)

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com